Four Cheese Ravioli Hearts
Ingredients FOR THE PASTA
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup semolina or 00 flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon water if needed
FOR THE FILLING
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cup Grated Italian Blend Cheese mozzarella, fontina, and parmesan
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- pinch of pepper
- Vodka sauce
- fresh basil leaves sliced thin
- parmesan cheese grated
- olive oil drizzle
Instructions For the homemade pasta:
- Mound the flour in the center of your work space.
- Make a well in the middle of the flour and add in the eggs.
- Using your fingers or a fork, beat together the eggs and begin to incorporate the flour starting with the inside rim of the flour well.
- As you incorporate the eggs, keep pushing the flour up to retain the well shape. The dough will come together in a messy way.
- Start kneading the dough with both hands, primarily using the palms of your hands.
- Add more flour if the dough is too sticky.
- Once the dough is a big mass, remove the dough from the board and scrape up any left over dry bits.
- Lightly flour the board and continue kneading for a few more minutes.
- The dough should be elastic and a little sticky.
- Remember to dust your space with flour when necessary.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and let rest for 20 minutes at room temp.
- Roll out thin and use the heart shaped cutter to cut out each ravioli top and bottom.
For the filling:
- Mix all filling ingredients together in a medium sized glass bowl.
- Cover with plastic wrap and keep chilled in the fridge until ready to use.
- Assemble and cook:
- Place about one tablespoon of mixture onto each heart shaped cutout.
- Wet your finger with water and gently rub the rim of each heart.
- Then place a second pasta cutout on top and gently press the two layers together to seal the cheese filling inside.
- When ready bring a low wide pot of water to a boil and add the ravioli to the water.
- Cook about 5 minutes until they float up to the top and are cooked al dente. Serve with warm Vodkas sauce, olive oil, grated parmesan cheese and fresh basil.