Summer Beans and Greens Side
- 2 pounds Swiss chard, preferably rainbow chard
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 slices of bacon, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup grated ARTIGIANO VINO ROSSO or Parm
- Wash the chard leaves and stems well in a large sink of cold water. Lift the chard out of the water, leaving the grit at the bottom of the sink. Shake off the excess water, but do not dry the chard.
- Tear the stems from the leaves and chop the stems crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces; set aside. Stack the leaves and coarsely chop them. Keep the stems and leaves separate.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the bacon and cook until crisp and browned, about 3 minutes. Stir in the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring often, until the garlic softens, about 2 minutes.
- Add the chard stems and beans. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the stems soften, about 4 minutes. Stir in the leaves a handful at a time until wilted. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chard is tender, about 5 minutes. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed. Sprinkle in grated cheese, then serve.